If you know me, you know I’m a HUGE nerd and PROUD introvert.
For me, reading, solitude, and thought are the ULTIMATE acts of self care. In fact, I purposefully set an alarm a full 90 minutes BEFORE anyone in my house will even THINK about waking up so I can commence my morning ritual of
- Coffee – cause, duh… it’s life.
- Candles – sets the Zen tone I’m wanting (recent new upgrade)
- Book – cause reading quiets my fast paced brain that wants to immediately dive to work.
- Bullet Journal – to organize my thoughts, ideas, and responsibilities
No t.v., no iphone, no email, and NO NOISE is allowed until 6:30am! (And on the mornings I coach at 5am, I STILL get my reading time in!)
Reading is a habit that provides me so much energy, joy, creativity, peace, and problem solving knowledge that I forgo sleep in order to ensure I don’t miss my reading time. I literally CANNOT imagine who I would be (or WOULDN’T BE) without my book addiction.
And it’s in that spirit of self transformation and elevation that I offer you the 2017 books that had the biggest impact on my psyche. (I actually sprinkled in 4 books from a few years past b/c they’re just too good to miss in my opinion.) These books created “aha” moments as well as “ugh” realizations.
I hope this list inspires you to #nerdout with me in 2018 and become a better, badder, more evolved version of yourself. Grab a Kindle, go audio book style, or, if you’re old school like me, open up that book cover and dive in! I’ll be sharing tons more like this in my newsletter, sweatunfiltered, so if you dig this kind of stuff think about click to join.
P.S. These books are in no particular order but my absolute super faves of the year have an (*) next to their names.
- 1. * Loving What Is- Byron Katie
- 2. Rising Strong – Brene Brown
- 3. * Grit – Angela Duckworth
- 4. * The Obstacle is the Way – Ryan Holiday
- 5. Big Magic – Elizabeth Gilbert
- 6. Grit to Great – Linda Kaplan Thaler & Robin Koval
- 7. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking – Susan Cain
- 9. * The Four Tendencies – Gretchen Rubin
- 10. Better Than Before – Gretchen Rubin
- 11. Switch – Chip Heath & Dan Heath
- 12. * The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- 13. * The Happiness Advantage – Shawn Achor
- 14. Before Happiness – Shawn Achor
MANAGEMENT & IDEA GENERATION
- 15. Creativity, Inc. – Ed Catmull
- 16. * People Over Profit by Dale Partridge
- 17. The Four Hour Work Week – Tim Ferriss
- 18. Smarter Faster Better by Charles Duhigg
- 19. Setting the Table by Danny Meyer
- 20. Originals – Adam Gant
- 21. Outliers – Malcolm Gladwell