So I’m not a fan of anything that is elimination centered… EXCEPT UNDER ONE CIRCUMSTANCE…ENDING A HABIT LOOP that is hurting rather than helping your goals.
Yesterday I had two closely related conversations post class w/ two different friends… (I love our conversations post class!!!!)
- The first, in the morning, from someone asking for help to stop a habit that was causing weight gain. She knew what she had to do but, we know, goals are met with action. She was looking for something in particular to catapult her into #GSD mode.
- The second, in the evening, with someone simply mentioning how much less she had been eating since she got their dog two weeks ago. She acknowledged she were busier but she was perplexed by her sudden reduction in hunger. She was eating less without trying and without deprivation.
Had she found The Holy Grail of Fat Loss?
Must we all purchase a puppy in order to get our hands on it?
Of course not! What we have here is a real life classic case of BROKEN HABIT loops!!
The dog had literally JOLTED her out of cues and routines which revolved around food rewards. Her daily routines have been completely turned around. She’s waking up earlier, she’s coming home for lunch, she’s taking a walk before dinner. Her focus when she arrives and leaves is no longer the “perceived” hunger/cravings of habit loops. Her dog is now what CUES her behavior patterns!
Charles Duhigg’s book, The Power of Habit, is THE RESOURCE for this btw. His book is not food centered but very applicable here none the less. Awesome read!!
So…what is one to do if we are caught up in habit loops and buying a puppy is not in our future?
We band together and bring back our Prohibition Challenge!
Here’s how it works:
- Pick one habit that seems to have you “in chains.” You do it almost mindlessly. You know it’s not great for you. You know it goes contrary to what you should be doing? You know you would be better off either without it or greatly reduced. This habit may have started out with great intentions…
Like that small glass of wine you used to have that now has turned into 2 giant glasses before bed
Like that tablespoon of peanut butter you ate to hit the spot that has somehow turned to 4 because cue, routine, reward to the max ???
Like that Thursday night pizza slice that has turned into an evening of binge eating and drinking? (Not naming any names here, totally random example, promise.)
2. Commit to eliminating it from Feb. 22nd- Thursday March 18th.
3. If you are a member of Sweat, you are required to put yourself on the line and:
- Put your name on the board
- Write down what you are giving up
4. On Sundays blog, I’ll talk to you guys about REPLACING your “drug” your habit to keep you consistent and successful and so you are using will power in good ways vs. bad. For now, all you need to do is dig deep, commit, and get your friends and family on board so you can all break out of those habit loops that are holding your progress back.